jueves, 26 de noviembre de 2009

Technology and Journalism

One of the things people couldn’t live without is technology. We all are sorrounded by technological tools, since we wake up in the morning until we go to sleep. Our homes are full of technological tools, such as our loved television, our useful PC or the cellphone we carry with us everytime. So, how could our lives work without technology? That’s a difficult question.

It’s also difficult to answer how a student of communications could study without technology. I’m a student of Journalism and I’ve needed to use technological tools for every subject I’ve studied this year. And that’s an almost obvious thing, because my career isn’t but communications. So, how could we communicate each other if we wouldn’t use technology?

During the whole three years I’ve studied Journalism, I’ve had to work with a lot of technological resources, like tape recorders, photographic and video cameras, among others. However, the use of computers and Internet has been even more essential for every single subject I’ve studied.

Thanks to the World Wide Web, information is at our fingertips now, and that’s a really positive thing to me, because information is the base of my career. That’s the most powerful reason why I must use the Internet. I’m still thinking about how the journalists before the 90’s could do their work if Internet wasn’t a massive tool yet.

On the other hand, last term I studied photography in the university, so I frequently used photo cameras and darkrooms. I even tried to make my own darkroom at home, but it didn’t actually work properly, but I did my best.

Other subject where technological tools are the basics is Radio. Last term was the first time I came into a radio room. It was very exciting to use the radio controller, microphones and the Adobe Audition software. It wasn’t really difficult to learn the ropes on Adobe Audition, in fact, it was really fun to make mixes and paste pieces of audio files and music and etc. However, the hardest thing was pasting the quotes of the interviewed people, because our professor was very demanding with the audio quality of them. Anyway, it was a really nice experience. Adobe Audition is my new best friend now, haha.

Every time I think about these six terms studying Journalism, I realize that technology is always close to me. As a future journalist, I can't deny it, especially the mass media, including the Internet. But the most important thing is that I’ve really loved to use the technological tools my career has brought to me.

Nowadays, if you can’t use these tools, you just can’t grow up professionally, especially the people related to communications. So it’s indispensable that we all update permanently our tech knowledges. In my personal case, I’ll try to learn as much as I can because of two reasons: because I love technology and because tomorrow the world won’t be the same.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario